My son is allergic to eggs, so I'm always looking for baking recipes that are egg-less. When I saw these Vegan Blueberry Muffins from Averie Cooks, I just had to try them. They looked too perfect!
Avocado Blueberry Muffins
(Modified from Averie Cooks' Vegan Blueberry Muffins)
1 Avocado (very ripe to over-ripe)
3/4 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Canola oil
1/3 cup Sour cream
1/4 cup Light brown sugar, packed
2 tsp. Vanilla
3/4 tsp. Nutmeg
3/4 tsp. Cinnamon
Pinch Salt (optional)
1 cup Whole wheat pastry flour (or white all purpose flour)
1 Tbsp. Baking powder
1-3/4 cup Frozen blueberries
2 Tbsp. Flour (to toss with berries)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Remove the seed and skin from the avocado and discard. Mash the flesh in a mixing bowl until mostly smooth.
3. Next, add the sugar, oil, sour cream, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt (if desired). Mix with a whisk until combined.
4. Add flour and baking powder. Stir with a spatula until just combined. (My batter was fairly thick and very green at this point.)
5. In a separate bowl, toss the frozen blueberries with the 2 Tbsp. of flour. (Coating the blueberries in flour helps them to not sink to the bottom of the muffin.)
6. Fold the blueberries and flour into the batter.
7. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 to 3/4 full. This recipe should make 12-14 muffins.
8. Bake at 400 F for 10 minutes. Then, reduce heat to 350 F and bake for 13-17 minutes longer or until done. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then place on cooling racks. Serve warm or cold.
10. Store in an airtight container for 5 days (if you have any leftovers ;). They can also be frozen for 3-4 months.
Notes: I use 100% whole wheat pastry flour as a substitution for white flour in all my recipes (because of my dietary restrictions). Regular whole wheat flour is usually too dense as a 1:1 substitution. But in my experience, 100% whole wheat pastry flour works perfectly 1:1.
It so nice to have a breakfast we can all eat. And let me tell you, these avocado blueberry muffins went really fast. Next time, I'll be making a double batch!
So do you have allergies to work around in your family? What are your go-to recipes...or substitutions? So far, I've only used 1/3 cup applesauce to replace 1 egg in baking recipes. I'm curious what else works, so I'd love to hear yours!
I'm linking up here today!