Resolution: Improve my prayer life.
Hmmm, it doesn't seem like I've been doing very well with this month's goal of growing stronger my prayer life. But it's a slow process, right? The biggest problem I've had is actually remembering to do the things that aren't habits yet...
1. Pray with my husband and my family. Jim and I have been reading the Blessed Is She or Faith ND devotions and a "saint of the day" almost every night out loud to one another. But I think we need to talk about it more afterwards. And I haven't been doing well with the kids...I keep forgetting! What can I do to remember?!
2. Read spiritual books. I have been keeping up with both books: Momnipotent and Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. The second one speaks to me a little more because of my type A personality, but both books are very good. (And I'm excited because this is the theme of my Lenten journal...see below!) Book club discussions have been so helpful. I love being in these 2 groups of Catholic women!
3. Journal. I haven't started this one yet because it's my plan for Lent...and Ash Wednesday on February 18th kicks off Lent this week! (My Blessed Is She Lenten journal came yesterday - Happy Valentine's Day to me!)
|"Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41-42|
4. Pray through my actions. This one has been so-so. I still forget a lot. But I do remember too, which is better than how I started! So I just need to keep remembering.
I was thinking about praying through my actions more and realized I need to be saying a Morning Offering more consistently. This would be good to say with the kids too. Here are two that I found for kids...what do you say with your little ones?
Good morning, dear Jesus, this day is for You. I offer You all that I think, say, and do. Amen.
Dear God, now that I start the day, I offer You my heart and pray, guide me in everything I do, and keep me always close to You. Amen.
And as I write this, I remembered how Jim and I used to offer up specific hours during the day for specific intentions back when we were in college. (For example, everything we did between 10-11am would be offered up as a prayer for our relationship with each other that we'd grow in love and holiness; 11-noon for another intention, and so on.)
We went to different schools hours away so this was a way to unite us in prayer across the miles. I think we should get back to this, but make it a family thing. (I seriously feel like a light bulb just went off as I wrote this - this would be perfect for us to do together as a family!)
|Our family's Prayer Altar|
5. Realize what I'm saying and doing. I have been slowing down when I say memorized prayers and the responses at Mass. I still need to focus on what I'm saying more, but I think I've been doing better. And the ACTS has really been helping. Especially having it written on the chalkboard above our home altar!
So it looks like the glaring problem is actually remembering to pray all of these different ways and times throughout the day. What do you do to remember to pray throughout the day? Or how do you remember to do anything that isn't a habit yet?
How are your resolutions going this month?
Capture Your Journey Wednesday with Amber,
Women with Intention Wednesdays with Jenny,
and The Shine Blog Hop with Jennifer