Resolution: Improve my prayer life.
I have really been struggling with my prayer life ever since I became a mom three and a half years ago. I have not found a rhythm since how I spend my time drastically changed when the little ones arrived. (Can anyone else relate?!) I have really noticed how bad it's been lately from the way I've been acting and feeling. And I need to stop making excuses and do something about it. Now.
Yesterday, I wrote some of my thoughts on prayer. The 2 main points were that prayer is an action of talking and listening to God, and that I need to focus on the 4 types of prayer (ACTS) - Adoration, Contrition, Thanksgiving, and Supplication - in my prayer life. (Click here to read the whole post!)
Both of these need to be incorporated into my everyday prayer life, so I'm using them as the backbone of my game plan for this goal. Everyday I plan to:
1. Pray with my husband and my family. God needs to be at the center of all our relationships, especially those closest to us. We will take time in the morning and evening to pray together as a family, and also just as a couple so we can grow in our relationships together and with God. (2-5 minutes each, twice a day)
|Our Prayer Altar on the landing at the top of the stairs. This is where we read Bible stories and pray together as a family every night before the kids go to bed. I need to start praying here with the kids every morning!|
2. Read spiritual books. I will read the Bible in the daily Mass readings and then either the Blessed Is She devotion and/or Faith ND devotion with my husband (see #1). I will read an outside book relating to the Faith, and take time to meditate on what I've read. (Bible/Devotions - 5-10 minutes, Book/Meditation - 10-15 minutes)
3. Journal. I'll be using the Blessed Is She Lenten Journal to write down my prayers of ACTS to grow closer to God as we draw closer to Good Friday and then Easter! I will keep my journal on my bedside table so I will journal each night before bed. (5-10 minutes)
4. Pray through my actions. Pray without ceasing. Make everything I do a prayer. I will offer up my daily actions and inconveniences (without complaint!) as a prayer to God. I will put up this verse throughout the house, especially in trouble spots - like above the kitchen sink! - to remind me. (5 seconds here and there throughout the day)
5. Realize what I'm saying and doing. I will slow down when I'm saying a memorized prayer and really say the words with my heart and not just my mind. I will consciously make an effort to remember ACTS when I pray. I'm going to use this as a bookmark in my spiritual books so it reminds me of the 4 types of prayer when I'm meditating on what I've read:
This will definitely be challenging and something I need to work on everyday. But growing closer in my relationship with God will obviously be worth it!
What are ways that you incorporate prayer in your everyday life? What do you do to build your relationship with Christ? I'm so glad we get to go on this walk together, my friends!
Are you new here? Welcome! Every first of the month, we "start fresh" with a new resolution to better ourselves as wives, mothers, and women or to make our houses into homes.
We would love to have you join us!
Linking up with
Hayley and Andrea for Monthly Goals,
Capture Your Journey Wednesday with Amber,
Women with Intention Wednesdays with Jenny,
The Shine Blog Hop with Jennifer,
Make a Difference Mondays with Sybil,
and Week's End with Elizabeth